So where did I get to with the Dahlia?
Ah yes. Still 2 large petals and 10 medium sized petals to go. Also, notice how the pile of pink yarn isn’t very big? Well, after knitting up the 2 large petals, it looked something like this:
A slight problem. Hmm. Well, I thought, dahlias can have more than one colour of petal! And the next step was to add stitches using the cable cast on, so I did just that but in red:
There’s actually two more stitches than there should be in that shot – I got carried away and cast on for a large petal. :S
A mere hour later, and the knitting was done!
Just some stitching to do, et voila!
Say hello to my evil scientist looking nodding tortoise! I got him from the Roald Dahl museum in Great Missenden for £1.50. He’s ever so fun. I bought Rob one at the same time which he put on his dashboard, and long journeys are so much more entertaining now. :)
I’m not convinced that this pattern really encapsulates the dahlia. I can kind of see it, but I always think of dahlias as having very well defined petals – loads of them, sure, but defined nonetheless. Still, everything has its limitations, and I am pretty chuffed with it as a flowery object in its own right. I’m quite happy with the impromptu colour change too, disaster successfully averted this time. :) I also got to try the cable cast on! That’s a whole three cast ons I know now. So, all in all, I’m a happy sleeper today. :)