29 Flowers, 29 Days: Day 1

First of all, the Think Pink SIBOL Blanket is up for auction on eBay, all proceeds go to Breast Cancer Care. Please go and have a look at least, maybe even put a bid in. :)

Secondly, my friend unitled has started a challenge for the month of February, 29 games in 29 days, an attempt to go through 29 of his never-played Steam sale game purchases (with the odd board game and RPG thrown in), inspired by the frankly much tougher challenge February Album Writing Month (write an entire album of 14.5 songs in February). Maybe I’ll attempt FAWM one year, it is quite tempting. I haven’t written any songs since GCSE music days, I’d love to give it another go.

Ahem. Back on subject. Today, I decided I’m going to jump on the bandwagon and attempt to make 29 flowers in 29 days. I recently (as in last week) acquired Lesley Stanfield’s major opus 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet. From what I’ve seen so far, it’s an amazing book, and rightfully one of the most recommended knit/crochet books. All the flowers are based off real life plants and do look very much like their counterparts. It’s not the sort of book that tells you all the stitches; it has a few hints and tips for knitting and crochet techniques, but mostly it just contains the patterns and stitch charts, and many beautiful photos of what you could be making.

So here we are at day one. I’m going to start with pattern 41, which is the least difficult crochet pattern, and is for a hellebore. Here’s flower number 1:

DSCF4094

It’s alright for a first attempt I’d say, but two of the treble clusters in the middle definitely look a bit shorter than the rest. The pattern helpfully said “use 4 ply cotton”. Having decided to take this up today, I used various 100% acrylic yarns in varying thicknesses instead. The cream one in the middle I have no idea where it came from. I think it may have come from my parents’ house ages ago, which is bizarre as neither of them did knitting or crochet until last December when my Mum decided to have a go. Anyway, beggars and choosers and all that.

The lovely Rob provided his excellent modelling skills to show how my hellebore might look, say, attached to a lapel:

DSCF4097

Ta-dah! Very smart. ;) I must say I’m quite pleased with how it’s turned out. Ok it’s not perfect and I’ve not darned in the ends yet, but I’ll do that in my lunch break. For tomorrow’s flower I think I’ll attempt the easiest of the knitting patterns, which is the field poppy. Please join in if you’d like! It’d be great to see other people’s flowers, making the wintery month a bit more spring-like.

Do pop over to unitled’s Challenge Blog if you’re at all interested in gaming. We might do a challenge swap one day this month – I’ll attempt one of his games, and he’ll attempt to crochet a flower. Wish him luck! ;)

I’ve not forgotten about the rest of the garden photos. I’m itching to put them up, but it’s just finding time to pull the post together. Work’s a bit manic atm, so I’m hoping once the deadlines are out the way this Friday I can have a bit more time to blog.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “29 Flowers, 29 Days: Day 1

    • Thanks! I’m planning to blog about each one ASAP after finishing it, but we’ll see how that goes. Thanks as well for the hellebore inspiration. ;) I’ll have to do the next hellebore I make in purple (when I acquire a suitably dark purple-y purple).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s