Winding (and winding and winding)

Last December, I joined a sock club called “When Granny Weatherwax Knits Socks“. If you need to ask why I joined this club on a sudden impulse being an absolute knitting novice and having never knitted a pair of socks in my life, then you obviously either haven’t read any Discworld books or are one of those strange people who don’t actually like the Discworld books.

It’s a joint project between a lady called Joy who dyes yarn under the name “The Knitting Goddess” and sock pattern designer Rachel Coopey. Every month there’s a pattern and a specially dyed yarn to go with it based on something out of a Discworld book. The books are taken in order, so January’s installment is based on The Colour of Magic.


So pretty! I must admit I always imagined octarine to be more greeny yellow with hints of purple, but that would probably make a fairly hideous looking sock.

Anyway, I haven’t got very far with this yet, mainly because the yarn arrived in skein form, and it needed transforming into ball form before I could safely knit with it. I finally got the idea to take it into work to do, as a nice, simple, relaxing activity in between searching frantically for a drawing that’s actually available so I can get some obscure part number. As a bonus, the drawers at work are incredibly long and just the right size to drape the skein around so that I don’t get the yarn hopelessly tangled (unlike my first attempt at winding a yarn ball which was pretty disastrous all told – it took a solid week’s worth of evenings to untangle it all :( ).

I decided to attempt the Laughing Purple Goldfish method of winding yarn, which involves winding it around a cardboard tube. Hereby follows a pictorial documentary of my attempt:




It was going so well! Then I ran out of toilet roll tube…


“Nevermind!” thought I, “Let us continue regardless!”. I mean, I was definitely NOT about to unwind it all and start again. It took 3 days of lunchbreaks winding away (and 30-60 min winding sessions after work) to get to this point! So I continued, and with a bit of care I ended up with this:


Look! An end! A actual end! I even managed to keep the top hole at about the same diameter as the tube!


 Unfortunately, the bottom hole was by now being formed around my thumb, so it was a bit smaller:


All that remained was to remove the tube, and rescue the end I started with. A bit of tube squashing later, and a bit of yarn ball squashing to relieve some of the tension in the yarn (built up whilst wrapping round), and I finally have a centre pull ball of yarn. :)


The pink bit of yarn coming out of the centre is the piece that will hopefully unravel the whole thing from the middle out. All I have to do now is knit some wizard-y socks with it. Hah! We’ll see how that goes…

2 thoughts on “Winding (and winding and winding)

    • I’m glad it worked out! I was doing mine quite slowly during lunch breaks just to take my mind off work busy-ness, so although it may be neater, it probably took about 5 times as long to do. :) Also after seeing how much ball winders and swifts cost, I think I much prefer this method even with the extra time taken. Good luck with your knitting projects, and thanks very much for commenting/reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s