Ok, not a Christmas project update, but something I’ve completed over the last few days; namely, one “Bag of Calm” made using a kit purchased from The Knitting Goddess around November last year for the princely sum of £2.75. I started it on the train from Sheffield to Doncaster (a Class 158 which looked very tired and worn inside), and managed in that time to wind the mini-skein (10g, 40m) into a centre pull ball, cast 24 stitches on to 3.25mm pins and knit the first row. Either I was super-speedy for me, or it shows you just how slow the stopping service is between the two places!
My first hand wound centre-pull ball of yarn! Made using this method which worked a lot better than I thought it would, especially once the first few metres had been pulled out (giving a larger hole in the middle and therefore less stuff to catch the yarn on). I don’t know how easy it would be to do with a larger skein though.
This is the completed rectangle before sewing into bag form:
I decided to use a basic checkerboard pattern four stitches wide and 5 rows deep (*k4, p4* for rows 1 – 5, *p4, k4* for rows 5 – 10, repeat until finished). The reason behind this was to get back into practise knitting after my year long hiatus before attempting to knit the sweater Mum requested for Christmas. Yes I do realise it’s 1.5 weeks into January. I’ve not even sent my Christmas cards yet. They will now be “Chinese New Year” cards…
Anyway, as I was saying, a slightly more advanced pattern than the previous knitting I did, with practise doing both knit and purl stitches and remembering to move the yarn backwards/forwards when switching between the two.
So, one final photo with the lavender sachet before sewing round the edges:
(please ignore the carpet, I know it’s a state, see my new year’s resolutions!)
Finished! I really liked this as a small quick project. The lavender sachet gives off a lovely, strong scent, and the checkerboard pattern has a really good texture to it as the knit squares sank deeper into the fabric than the purl squares. It also looks a lot neater with the edges sewn together – I’ve not yet worked out what to do with the loose last stitch on each row that makes all the edges look untidy. I seem to remember something about knitting it together with the second stitch and increasing later on, but I’ll have to research it properly before my next project.
Speaking of, the next planned project is to make another face flannel but more involved than the last one (again, stepping up the complexity on something small before attempting the scarf-sweater). It will be either the Leaf Lace Washcloth by Jan Eaton or the Elfin Lace Cloth by NightlyKnitter in Wendy Supreme Cotton DK, or I may do both depending on how badly the first goes. I’m leaning towards doing the Leaf Lace one first at the moment.
Hopefully I can post up what I did over Christmas tomorrow, it involves Chinese Knotting exploits!